Prep time: about 40 minutes
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. oatmeal
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 c. blueberries, washed
- 1 egg
- 1 c. milk
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- nonstick spray
- oven (You’ll need help from your adult assistant.)
- mixing spoon
- 2 large bowls
- muffin/cupcake tin
- paper muffin/cupcake liners
- wire rack for cooling muffins
- measuring cups and spoons
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oatmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Mix in blueberries.
- In another bowl, break the egg and use a fork to beat it just a little bit.
Then add the milk and vegetable oil, and mix.
- Add this mixture to the first mixture in the large bowl.
- Using a mixing spoon, mix about 25 or 30 times. Don’t mix too much! Your muffin mixture should be lumpy, not smooth.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners or lightly spray with nonstick spray.
Spoon in the muffin mix. Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 of the way up.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- When muffins are finished baking, remove from muffin tin and cool them on a wire rack.
- Enjoy your berry tasty muffins!
- 6 cups Kelloggs Rice Krispies
- 1 bag of marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
Melt the margarine or butter in a non-stick pan and add the entire bag of marshmallows. Stir over medium heat until the marshmallows have completely melted. Add Rice Krispies and mix together well. Pour mixture onto cooking tray and spread out evenly. Cut into squares when cool.
Kids love making and eating these easy treats!
Fun Fruit Kebabs
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 apple
- 1 banana
- 1/3 c. red seedless grapes
- 1/3 c. green seedless grapes
- 2/3 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 c. dried coconut, shredded
- knife (You’ll need help from your adult assistant.)
- 2 wooden skewer sticks
- large plate
- Prepare the fruit by washing the grapes, washing the apples and cutting them into small squares, peeling the bananas and cutting them into chunks, and cutting the pineapple into chunks, if it’s fresh. Put the fruit onto a large plate.
- Spread coconut onto another large plate.
- Slide pieces of fruit onto the skewer and design your own kabab by putting as much or as little of whatever fruit you want! Do this until the stick is almost covered from end to end.
- Hold your kabab at the ends and roll it in the yogurt, so the fruit gets covered. Then roll it in the coconut.
- Repeat these steps with another skewer
Frozen Yogurt Pops
Prep time: about 1 to 2 hours
- 1 8-oz. container of your favorite flavor of yogurt
- small paper cups
- wooden popsicle sticks (available in craft stores)
- plastic wrap
- Pour yogurt into paper cups. Fill them almost to the top.
- Stretch a small piece of plastic wrap across the top of each cup.
- Using the popsicle stick, poke a hole in the plastic wrap. Stand the stick straight up in the center of the cup.
- Put the cups in the freezer until the yogurt is frozen solid.
- Remove the plastic wrap, peel away the paper cup, and eat your pop!
Serves: 3 to 4
Chocolate Easter Nests
- 225g (8oz) plain chocolate
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 100g (4oz) corn flakes
- 30 mini chocolate eggs
- Baking tray with shallow pans
- Paper cake cases
- Put ten paper cases into pans in the baking tray.
- Place a large pan on the stove and add the butter, golden syrup and broken chocolate pieces. Adult supervision is required.
- Heat the pan gently, stirring all the time, until everything is completely melted.
- Turn off the heat. Now add the corn flakes. Gently stir them into the chocolate, until they are completely covered.
- Scoop the mixture out of the pan and into the paper cases. Using the back of a teaspoon, make a hollow in the middle of each nest.
- Arrange a few mini eggs inside the hollow of the each nest. Put the tray into the fridge and let it set for about an hour.
- Take the nests out of the cases and arrange onto a plate. Eat straight away.